Friday 26 June 2015

Finding Friends in Trends!!

I have always been a Bottom-Up investor all through my investing life (of 4.5 years). So much that, however hard a friend may try to convince me to buy a stock on story/macro, I will not even bother to study the stock, if numbers don't look convincing enough.

However, since last few months I have started to look at big level macro themes & trends. Whether that is because of getting more experienced & hence more intelligent OR desperation as Bull market makes more in-roads OR me getting more closer to noise thanks to twitter & whatsapp OR due to macro trends more visible thanks to Mr Modi's marketing skills, I am not too sure.

Some of the trends that are attracting market participants these days are -

  • Affordable housing and Housing for All
  • 100 smart cities
  • More toilets
  • Revival of CV industry
  • Growth of Solar & Wind
  • Humongous opportunity for Indian Pharma
  • Textiles - The Next Pharma  
  • E-com Boom
  • Growth of Commodity trading in India
  • Make- in- India
  • Growth of QSR Industry in India
  • Digitization
Though stocks are still not finding place in my portfolio just on these trends, however, when trends meet numbers, I am getting more & more inclined to look deeper.
And a result of that, have found a few friends in the above trends.

Now whether these trends become destiny (& give me multi-baggers) or fade away (& give me multi-beggers), we will only get to know in due course!!!

Some of the ANTI-TRENDS that are quite prevalent these days are-
  • Rural growth struggling
  • Offline retailing struggling 
Both look over-hyped to me. 
Rural struggled last year due to poor monsoon. This year I expect this trend to reverse due to better monsoon, increase of MSP in few crops, more focus on MGNREGA and last year's low base.
People don't buy non-branded apparels online, especially in Tier-2 and 3 cities.

Hence, I still continue to have a few friends in these Anti-trends and I remain bullish on their long term performance.  


1 comment:



  1. The great blog about Let's Talk Defaults. Thanks for sharing the blog, seems to be interesting and informative too. Could you help me to find out more details on Real estate investment trusts

    ReplyDelete